Friday, June 13, 2008

Training May or May Not Be Over

Training officially ended earlier today, but as with last summer, I don't know if I'll ever be done being trained for this job. Campers arrive on Sunday, and I'm as apprehensive and excited as I was the first time I came to camp four years ago as a CIT. Every camper is different, every counselor is different. Every camper (even if you've had them in your cabin), every counselor (even if you worked with them last week) changes and grows. No matter how well I think I know someone, no matter how prepared I feel to work with or for someone, I'm always faced with something new. This excites me and terrifies me: it encourages and overwhelms me.

So, this summer at camp, I resolve to never become complacent with what I think I know, with the things I expect. I resolve to let training continue until the staff banquet is over, and maybe even a little longer.

No comments: